I was
Millbrook both gave me the opportunity to change this shy behavior and forced me to change it. Funny enough my very first day of high school, and public school for that matter, a kid named Nate came up to me, without introducing himself, and said, "Your eyes make me horny." Honestly that happened, and you can ask Elliot Fernandez or Jake Seagraves for confirmation if you think I'm lying. In some ways, Millbrook was like a slap in the face, that the real world is brutally honest and doesn't care about your feelings.
Freshman and sophomore years definitely resulted in me being able to feel more confident when I spoke, but the IB programme allowed me to feel confident in what I said. Looking back the IB program, despite how little I slept because I had to re-write my Extended Essay 3 times, was a good thing for me just because of that one reason. The programme alone wasn't able to do that, but rather it was the people in it (so, thanks for that). These people made me feel comfortable in myself and pushed me to want to learn and know more everyday. The community that we made as the IB class of 2020, is the type of community I want to surround myself throughout college and into the workforce.
my most difficult moments in school, they were there for me. When injured, they were there for me. I cannot thank them enough for their impact on my life. The program itself turned me into a leader, by making me a captain. Something I never expected of myself freshman year. I never expected that this team would become my family. I didn't believe that the upperclassmen would care for me as much as they did, and I didn't expect for them to teach me so much. Because of them they fostered a community of hard work in the boys varsity team, which Ethan, Preston, Elliot, and I were proud to continue.
I believe that my goal of "betterment" was fulfilled over these 4 years. I learned to be more confident in myself. I learned how to work harder. I learned that it's okay to cry and puke after you've worked your hardest. I've learned how to me more compassionate. Thank you Millbrook for giving the boy without a "real identity" one.
Ayden- great post! Thanks for all your hard work this year and for always engaging in whatever we were doing!
ReplyDelete