Adam Savage Ted Talk
Savage gets his point across in a couple of different ways. Primarily he uses Pathos. He does so as he tells us heartwarming and comical stories about his experiences with costuming. He explains the intricacies of each costume he mentioned, the good and the bad, to allow for the listener to relate to them. Take for example his "Excalibur" knight costume that made him pass out from heat exhaustion. We all know what it is like to be hot and to love something so childishly that we put ourselves in harm's way. Savage speaks to these human realities to bring his world of costuming closer to yours. He also used Logos to further his claim. By having pictures of all of the costumes, and even some videos, he makes you not have to imagine what the costumes look like. This is meaningful because costuming and clothing are supposed to be seen. The whole point of his Ted Talk is to explain how important this visual is to storytelling and if he hadn't put those costumes in his presentation there might as well not be a presentation. Finally, Adam Savage uses his credibility (Ethos) of being on the hit TV show "Mythbusters" to get people to tune into his seemingly unpopular augment about costuming. It allows people to relate with him more during the explanation of this concept because they already feel like they know him because of the TV show.
I picked this Ted Talk because I had seen it before and I loved what Savage had to say. The notion of creating things to tell a story has always been a passion of mine. Despite not currently being into costuming I can appreciate the notion and meaning behind the work. However, as a child, I understood where he was coming from. I didn't have many friends and enjoyed playing pretend in the worlds I had built out of cardboard and pillows. Instead of a spaceship, I built a race car out of a refrigerator box. I was super into Halloween every year. I even dressed up in homemade costumes. Creating, in my opinion, is beautiful because it can tell a story. Whether that story is told through costume, woodwork, painting, or sculpture, I believe that a visual or tangible aspect of a story is crucial to its telling.
Hey Ayden, I really liked your blog post on story telling. It was a interesting choice of Ted Talks, but I got a lot out of your analysis. I enjoyed your response on why you picked this one. Overall, good job keep it up.
ReplyDeleteAyden, I think that this was a very cool choice of TED Talk. I thought that it would be a weird one to watch when I saw that it was titled "A Love Letter to Cosplay", but it is clear that this talk was much more than that. Your analysis of the piece really highlights why Adam believes that cosplay can be so important to people. I also really liked the way that you connected to this piece. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHey Ayden! I think the best part of reading your blog was the personal connection at the end, and how you relate to Savage. Which is exactly what he does for his audience through pathos, as you mentioned earlier. I thought your use of the persuasion techniques was really fleshed out and it was easy to pick up on your arguments. Interesting ted talk and analysis :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWell written blog post! I thought your discussion of Savage recognizably to the audience was a smart addition. I felt his personal history with cosplay as a child also added credibility. I think Savage's childhood enjoyment is what makes this Ted talk more relatable, as you proved.
ReplyDeleteYou do a really nice job of leading your reader through your argument and analysis. I'd love some more specific examples here- you make great points, but I want to know what exactly from the talk helped you reach your understanding(s). If thinking about this suggestion with regards to Paper 1 or Paper 2, you need to show that you have actually read the texts - you need to refer to examples / illustrations from within the text to support your ideas. See below for further feedback from the blog post rubric.
ReplyDelete- Postings provide comprehensive insight, understanding, and reflective thought about the topic (4)
- Postings present a specific viewpoint that is substantiated by supporting examples (3)
- Postings are generally well written with some attempts made to stimulate dialogue and commentary (3)
- Postings are written in a style that is appealing and appropriate for the intended audience and a consistent voice is evident throughout (4)
- Postings reflect a bit of the author’s personality through word choices that attempt to bring the topic to life (3)
- All images, media and text created by others display appropriate copyright permissions and accurate citations (4)
- Written responses are largely free of grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors. The style of writing generally facilitates communication (3)
24/28